Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Kindred Spirits Review

I cannot say how much I am loving LibraryThing! I have won even more amazing books!! The latest one I have had the pleasure to read is 'Kindred Spirits' by Julianne Lee. She writes with the Book View Cafe and I am really looking forward to reading more of the ebooks from the site. I have put my hand up for a review copy of their Beyond Grimm anthology, and definitely have my fingers crossed!!
But I digress! Here is my review for 'Kindred Spirits'...



Julianne Lee’s ‘Kindred Spirits’ had me riveted almost from the beginning. I must confess I do not like ghost stories, but Lee’s descriptive style and dynamic characters had me wanting more. The more I read, the more I had to read to find out exactly what happened to Lucas Robert.

Set both in the present and during the American Civil War, Lee brought both settings to life with her vivid description. I really felt as thought I could see what Lee was describing, from Shelby moving into the old Brosnahan house and her first encounters with the ghost, to the horrors of the Civil War. Her descriptions of what the soldiers endured and their women who were left behind reveals how appalling and wasteful war is. The transitions between the settings are seamless and keep the plot flowing.

Lee’s characters are very dynamic. I adored Shelby and found her to be passionate, courageous and strong politically, emotionally and physically. She is not afraid to fight for those she loves and even those she has lukewarm feelings for, if it is the right thing to do. I found myself often amused at Lucas’s expense and loved how Lee acknowledged the character’s struggle between his feelings and Shelby’s propriety. I would have liked to know a little bit more about Mary Beth and Jason. This subplot often read as an afterthought with the characters a little two dimensional.

I found Lee’s style to be a breath of fresh air. A formal style of writing is unfortunately lacking in a lot of indie novels. However, Lee’s command of grammar and vocabulary are accessible while still being very polished.

I absolutely recommend ‘Kindred Spirits’.  It is a love story that is not a traditional romance. While it is a story that demonstrates that time is no barrier for love and fate, it is far from sappy. Lee’s resilient and dynamic characters and vivid description make ‘Kindred Spirits’ a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I gave it 5 stars. Go get it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment